lamb's grill

George P. Lamb, a Greek immigrant, opened Lamb's Grill Cafe on George Washington's Birthday, February 22, 1919 in Logan, Utah. Lamb's thrived in Logan until 1939 when Mr. Lamb was encouraged to move his restaurant to the business district in downtown Salt Lake City. Since that time, The Herald Building at 169 South Main Street, has been the home of Lamb's Grill Cafe. The Herald Building, now on The National Register of Historic Places, was erected in 1905 to house the Herald Newspaper and other businesses.

The restaurant has remained essentially unchanged since 1939. The booths, tables, wainscot, back-bar, counter, counter stools, light fixtures and steam-table, which are still in use today, came from a restaurant previously located on Main Street known as Gunn's Cafe.

Ted J. Speros, who had been involved in the restaurant business in Salt Lake City since 1933, joined Mr. Lamb in 1941. The two men worked as partners for 32 years and built Lamb's into a veritable downtown institution. John Speros, Ted’s son, began working at Lamb’s as a dishwasher in 1954 and has worked every job at Lamb’s in the years since. He took over as owner of the restaurant in 1977.

In 2011, Francis Liong, recently located from Los Angeles, purchased the restaurant from John Speros and changed the name to simply “Lamb’s Grill.” Realizing the history of Lamb’s Grill, Mr. Liong was careful to preserve the historical aspects while at the same time, updating the menu more contemporary to the times.

Lamb's has long been the "place to eat" when in downtown Salt Lake City. At breakfast, lunch or dinner, shoppers mingle with lawyers, bankers and business people. Service is provided at the long, black, marble counter or at booths and tables with white linens. Whether it be one of their lunch specials offered daily or their pre-theatre dinner specials, patrons are served simply prepared and consistently good meals. Friendly service is the common scene at Lamb's.

To this day, Lamb's strives to maintain its high standards which have endured for 93 years. We appreciate you as a guest and hope you enjoy our tradition!